The Cini Family began immigrating from Italy to Brazil in mid-1884, at the same time as Encosta Superior in Northeastern Rio Grande do Sul was being colonized. The move from Carpesica, Vittorio Veneto commune in the Veneto region of Italy, to Linha Vitória, Carlos Barbosa, RS, began a history marked by human values that are transmitted from generation to generation: faith, family, hard work and respect.
Son of Ciro Cini and Rosa Lorenzon, Aldo Cini was born in Garibaldi, in 1933. Still a child, he went to live in Carlos Barbosa, where he split his time between studies at Santa Rosa school, run by the Sisters of St. Joseph, selling candy at the train station, and the task of weaving wood for De Martini chairs, helping to provide for the family from a very young age.
At the age of 12, on December 5, 1945, Aldo and his brother Nilo started working their first official job contract, providing general services and transporting leather for Guilherme Fasolo company, a tannery and sandals factory where their father worked. At that time, it was recognized as one of Brazil’s largest leather goods manufacturers. Aldo worked there until 1951, and it is where he would meet his wife Ordalia.
With the founding of Funilaria Ciro Cini (Ciro Cini Metal Shop), Aldo’s father left the tannery to work as a plumber and electrician, as well as producing winter garden furniture in wrought iron, as well as windows, doors and grates for homes. On his father’s request - there was plenty of extra work - Aldo quit working at the tannery on March 15, 1951, and began working full-time at the metal shop.
Upon his father’s premature death in 1959, Aldo Cini ended up taking charge of the family business and in 1960, he created Serralheria Artística e Industrial de Aldo Cini (Aldo Cini’s Artistic and Industrial Metal Shop). Aside from the work with metal, Aldo began producing furniture, including a piece of school furniture that is in use to this day in the majority of schools across Brazil.
The company began to evolve on many and various fronts, and the market grew as well. In 1960s, the company changed its name to Companhia de Móveis Aldo Cini (Aldo Cini Furniture Company). Along with this name change came innovative products in steel and Formica, ranging from home to school furniture and even stadium seats, furnishing stadiums across Brazil like Beira Rio, Arruda, Rei Pelé and Morenão, among others.
Aldo Cini represented the Brazilian furniture industry abroad by exhibiting its products at Brazil Export, in Brussels, Belgium. This is where he met exhibitors from Scandinavian countries who worked with modular furniture made with reforested wood.
A visionary, Aldo saw a new market opportunity. He founded a new company based on reforested wood (pine), a factory of hardwood accessories that would later begin manufacturing furniture. Madesa was born.
At the end of the 1980s, Aldo founded Movergs (Rio Grande do Sul Furniture Manufacturers Association) and became its first president, in addition to being chair of Sindmóvel (Bento Gonçalves Furniture Manufacturing and Construction Syndicate) and vice-president of Afam, now Abimóvel (Brazilian Furniture Manufacturing Association).
Over the years, he has received many titles and awards. Tributes from trade entities; national and state honor awards for the company’s retail activity. In 2008, he won the title of Cidadão Bomprincipiense in recognition of the work he did in the region. In 2010, in honor of his long history in the industry, Aldo Cini was given a first-of-its-kind award from MOVERGS, FIERGS, SEBRAE, SEDAI and SENAI/CETEMO, being named a Furniture Industry Luminary.